Between 2018 and 2020, the Canadian dog population increased from 7.6 million to 7.7 million, while the cat population remained stable. Cats, on the other hand, continue to exceed dogs, with an estimated 8.1 million cats designated family pets in 2020. However, the question of why we need a pet arises.
Why do people hold pets in their homes?
Pets bring people companionship and can help keep us healthy by increasing opportunities for physical activity. Guide and service dogs have a significant positive impact on people’s lives. Higher survival rates, fewer heart attacks, less loneliness, improved blood pressure, improved psychological well-being, reduced rates of depression and stress, fewer doctor visits, enhanced self-esteem, better sleep, and more physical exercise are all benefits of holding a pet.
Pets also bring many positive impacts on children’s
- In the presence of pets, children learn empathy. Your children will learn to recognize and respond to the needs of others.
- Children mature into self-assured and responsible adults.
- Having a pet can be incredibly therapeutic.
- Animals aid in socialization
- There are many benefits to holding a pet in your home but as well as there are many hazards to holding a pet.
Risk of holding a pet at your home
The majority of people are aware that outdoor pets confront numerous threats. They may be hit by a car, exposed to numerous diseases, unprotected from extreme weather, or otherwise damaged. Indoor pets, on the other hand, are at risk. Ingestion of hazardous chemicals, plants, food, and other household things, including prescriptions, can cause serious responses and even death. Pets spread many diseases like:
- Tapeworm, hookworm, and roundworm. Dipylidium caninum is the most common tapeworm in both dogs and cats in Canada.
- Parrot fever
- Cat-scratch disease
But we can easily deal with all hazards by taking several precautions.
Wash your hands
If you had direct touch with an animal, everybody is susceptible to zoonotic disease. The elderly, young children, and anyone with a weakened immune system are especially vulnerable. This is why washing your hands thoroughly after coming into contact with animals is so crucial.
When it comes to coughs caused by infections, supportive care is crucial. Rest, drinking, and food should all be encouraged for dogs. Cough suppressants can help when the symptoms are severe. Antibiotics can only be used to treat bacteria. You don’t need to take your pet to the doctors. You can easily purchase antibiotics from Canada drugs online pharmacy.
Protect your pets against disease
By following several steps you can easily prevent your animal from disease.
- Vaccinations should be up to date.
- Take Preventive Medicines.
- Keep an eye on your pets when they enter the house.
- Schedule regular vet visits.
- Make an appointment if your pet is displaying symptoms of illness.
- Keep your pets away from wild animals.
- Keep an eye on what your pet eats.
Everything in the universe has several pros and cons and if we measure in the case of pets we have more prose so by following these steps we can spend a healthy lifestyle with pets.